Future Proof Future–proof the region.
We want the Katahdin region to retain the essential qualities we all love about it. We want to make investments that are financially responsible, support the other big ideas of our future, protect our environment, and bolster our regional economy. We will study the anticipated shifts in ecological and economic systems in the next 10, 20, 50 and 100 years in order to better mitigate and adapt as needed.
- Continue to build human and social capital throughout the region.
- Provide a variety of community education opportunities.
- Conduct local planning with updated mindsets and models.
- Invest in infrastructure that prioritizes the future.
- Track implementation of the Katahdin Gazetteer.
Future-proofing is the process of anticipating the future and developing methods of minimizing the effects of shocks and stresses of future events. It is critical to plan how to manage growth in order to preserve the beloved aspects of the region, grow the tax base while limiting expenses of infrastructure maintenance, build local wealth and municipal solvency, and mitigate and adapt to anticipated shifts in ecological and economic systems in the next 10, 20, 50 and 100 years.
This section is interdependent on the work laid out in the other five big ideas and focuses on areas that are not covered anywhere else in the Katahdin Gazetteer.